*** Sometimes, when you click the link, the ad may come up, but after 5 seconds, you can click "Skip Ad" in the upper right corner, and you can go to the destination. Don't worry :) ***

Monday, August 10, 2009

What is IP Address?

When you are working on an ad posting job, you will hear about IP addresses.
It sounds difficult but it is simple.

An IP address is an electronic address which identifies your computer on your network. Some Internet providers change your IP address regularly. This is called a dynamic IP address. Some Internet providers keep your IP address the same. This is called a static IP address. With cable internet, it's common to have a dynamic IP address. With DSL or dial up Internet, it is static. Your IP address is recorded when you shop online or post comments or articles to online forms or blogs. Also, many online classified sites, like Craigslist, record your IP address, so it's easier to find spammers or people who post duplicate ads.

When I started posting ads on Craigslist, I didn't even need a phone-verified account. I just needed to put in my email address, and Craigslist sent me a message to post my ads. However, at some point, I couldn't post ads without a phone-verified account even if my ads were in the for-sale category ( Some categories need phone-verified accounts, such as the service category.)

===> This is because Craigslist identified me as posting more than I should by my IP address.

Some companied sell programs that switch your IP address around so that you can keep posting on Craigslist. I tried a few free programs but they were really complicated and it didn't work out very well. If you want to get software that supposedly changes, switches, or "randomizes" your IP address, be very, very careful. If you pick the wrong one, expect to be on the phone with and be hand-held by your ISP's customer service while they get you back online. A word to the wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freelance Jobs